Thursday, August 16, 2007

Picture Project

I have a frame that is a box with three panes of glass in it. Since I've had it, I had displayed small photos of flowers in it. It was really un-interesting and cluttered looking. Friday, I had a better idea of what to do with it.

I printed out the picture I wanted to fill the frame. Taped it to the back layer. Then I cropped the photo to enlarge parts of it. I printed the same size as the first. Then I cut out everything that was in that focus range. In this case a sunflower and some leaves. I taped it to the middle pane.

Went back to the computer and cropped it further to enlarge the next section. Printed and cut out the next closest focus area. I taped it in place on the closest pane and put it all together. Here's what I got:For a first go at it, I am pretty pleased. With the right photo, I think I can do some really interesting things with this.

As I was developing this idea, Cari is the one that suggested enlarging each closer layer to enhance the 3d feel of it. This really helped make each element pop.
When I took this picture, I held the flash low and to the left to help create the shadow on the back layers.

I think I'm going to try and create this same effect without the frame. Just use some type of cardboard post behind each layer to bring it out. Not sure how I will box it on the wall yet.

1 comment:

Speed Seeker said...

Wow...That looks really good. Great job! Kudo's to Cari for the extra added advice.