Monday, August 06, 2007

I picked the winner!

Me and roughly 3,500 of my neighbors got together on Saturday night. That may not sound like a lot, but keep in mind that the population of the city is approx 3,100.

We all met downtown for the final night of Liberty Idol. The final five contestants would sing, the five or six judges would give their opinion, and the crowd would fill out their ballots to be counted.



As the final five were introduced, I noticed that they were dressed to impress. The cheering crowd really identified their favorites to win. Henry had a huge crowd of family and friends up front. But he wouldn't win this year.The city put on a good show, with guest singers between contestants. After volunteers collected the ballots, a band down from Asheville entertained the crowd. They did a great job and were fun to listen to. The show was several hours long in total. Of course, Randy started getting a bit bored toward the end. He stated, "There is nothing to do but watch this grasshopper."
There was an injured grasshopper hiding under the chair in front him. Meredith was having more fun than watching a grasshopper, as she was dancing and sucking down some cotton candy.
The ballots were counted, the mayor got up and said some things, including an announcement that there will be another Liberty Idol next summer, and then the winner was announced.

The winner of Liberty Idol 2007 (the second year of the event) is
ADAM! The best thing about it is that I picked Adam on my ballot. I PICKED A WINNER!
Cari wants me to point out that we were all asked to select three out of the five on our ballots. This gave the contest a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prize. She doesn't feel like it was such a feat to choose the winner when I had a 3 out of 5 shot to get it. I still argue that Adam was my favorite of the night.

He won a check for $2,500 and his winning statement, "Let's go spend some money!"
Yeah, boy! That's my kind of winner.

No comments: